In its brevity, the historic Way of the Cross offers relaxation and reflection for everyone, but also unimagined potential for discovering its flora and fauna for nature lovers.
Distance 0.8 km
Highest point383 m
Lowest point315 m
The Way of the Cross was built by citizens of the Catholic parish of Adenau between 1861 and 1863 in neo-Gothic style.
Two angels with the instruments of Christ's suffering mark the beginning of the path. "Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane" and a "burial grotto" with seven figures enclose the actual Way of the Cross.
The individual stations are made of Rieden tufa stone, the (outer) borders and the steps of the path were made of basalt columns. The terracotta reliefs are based on the 14 frescoes by the painter Josef von Führich in the parish church of St. Nepomuk in Vienna.
The flora and fauna of the park-like facility also offers nature lovers a worthwhile goal, as numerous non-native trees and shrubs were used during the creation planted.
The historic Way of the Cross is also signposted as a circular route from the historic market square and the route then has a total length of approx. 1.8 km.
Take your time for the Way of the Cross and experience a little break from everyday life.
From the market square in Adenau, go through Kollengasse, past the hospital. After approx. 500 m you will reach the entrance to the Way of the Cross, which cannot be overlooked thanks to the two angels on the left and right. 14 stations line the path, which is framed at the beginning by the Ölbergsgrotte and at the end by the Entombment Grotto. The length of the route including the access route is approx. 1800 m, the difference in altitude approx. 75 m and the duration approx. 1 hour. The access route to the historic Way of the Cross is clearly marked from the market square.
all notes on protected areas
Ahrtalbahn: Remagen - Ahrbrück station (Note: buses are currently set up as rail replacement services from Walporzheim in the direction of Ahrbrück) Timetable information at https://www.bahn.de