You can also book a guided tour of the town (see "More info and links").
Especially the late Gothic castle church with its art-historical treasures will inspire you.
Safety informationGood shoes recommended!
Tips and hintsTourist-Information Meisenheim
Untertor 16, 55590 Meisenheim
phone: 06753 / 12123
Regular city tours:
Easter Sunday through the end of October, every Sunday and holiday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and every first Saturday of the month, starting at the Castle Church.
Individual city tours:
Year-round booking possible by appointment.
Meisenheim still has a surprising amount of its medieval building fabric, as it is the only one of the former Palatine towns to have been spared wars and major catastrophes in its history.
It was probably founded in the 7th century by a Frankish settler named Meiso. The name "Meysinheim" (home of Meiso) is first mentioned in 1154 in a document of the Disibodenberg monastery. In the 12th century, the village of Meisenheim passed as a fief to the Counts of Veldenz, who moved their headquarters here. On March 22, 1315, they received the town charter for Meisenheim from King Ludwig the Bavarian for loyal service, which made it the political and economic center of the lower Glan valley. Large parts of the town wall built at that time are still preserved today, including the lower gate, the mint tower and the town tower. When in 1444 the Dukes of Palatinate-Zweibrücken, a side line of the Wittelsbach dynasty, inherited the Veldenz dynasty, Meisenheim's heyday began, which can still be seen today in several buildings worth seeing from this period (castle church, town hall, market hall, Thayn's house, knights' hostel, noble courts and town houses). In changing succession it was the residence, secondary residence and widow's seat of the duchy. In 1815 Meisenheim came to Hessisch-Homburg; Landgrave Friedrich Josef used the castle as a summer residence for himself and his wife, a daughter of George III of England. The high couple liked to stay here. This can be seen from the fact that the landgravine had the old castle, built in 1614 and purchased in 1826, extended by her senior architect, Georg Moller from Darmstadt, with a larger side wing and had a castle garden with terraces laid out on the site where old parts of the building from Zweibrück had stood until then. The Landgrave and his wife had grown so fond of the new princely seat, which had been restored with great artistic skill and at relatively high cost, that they spent several months each year in Meisenheim. With the rich means that his wife had brought into the marriage, the landgrave did much to beautify the town. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the former townscape remained largely untouched, so that, viewed as a whole, it is a monument to a turbulent, eventful history. Recent efforts in the field of monument preservation and urban development testify to the fact that Meisenheim continues to preserve its valuable townscape, thus making the historical tour of the town an unforgettable experience for the visitor.
(1) Lettermann's house
The house was originally built in the 17th century. The structural condition made it necessary to renovate it down to the foundation walls in 2000. In the upper part, the beautiful half-timbering catches the eye, on the first floor the beautiful carved wooden door from the famous Meisenheim Schmidt workshop.The town-owned building is a contact point for tourists.
(2) Yellow House
The Johanniter commander built the "Yellow House" around 1500 for his brothers of the order. Later it housed the manorial scribe's office. In the 17th century a covered footbridge to the castle square was built. According to the document from 1349 it is the oldest half-timbered house in the Glan area. Today it is used as a residential house, the garden is also used for concerts.
(3) Duke Wolfgang House
It was built in 1614 as the widow's residence of the Palatine Countesses of Zweibrück. In the 19th century it served as the summer residence of the Hesse-Homburg landgrave couple. From 1869 to 1932 it was the seat of the district administration of Meisenheim County.Today, the Herzog-Wolfgang-Haus is home to residential groups of the curative education facilities.
(4) Protestant Castle Church
The castle church, together with the Duke Wolfgang House, is the only remaining part of the former castle. The foundation stone was laid in 1497, the building was completed in 1504. The three-nave hall church consists of five bays and has a magnificently formed tower with a spire. The square narthex is flanked by a burial chapel and a two-story sacristy. The net vaults rest on round pillars. In the narthex and choir polygon there are rich domed star vaults. The most ornate vault is on the right in the funeral chapel. In the 18th century a generously dimensioned organ was installed by the Stumm brothers. The rococo pulpit from the Schmidt workshop in Meisenheim is also worth seeing. The castle church is one of the most important buildings of the late Gothic period on the left bank of the Rhine.
(5) Knights' hostel
The building was constructed around 1580. The northern half is two-storied, the southern half three-storied. It is believed that members of local knight families used to meet here. Therefore, the house is popularly called knights' hostel.The view between Hunolsteiner Hof (in Hammelgasse) on the left and Ritterherberge on the right to the castle church is considered the most beautiful photo motif.
(6) Fürstenwärther Court
The feudal court (16th century) belonged to the lords of Fürstenwärther from 1711 - 1853. The coat of arms shows von Fürstenwärther on the left and von Kellenbach on the right.Today the estate is used as a residential house. Vacation home and venue for concerts.
(7) Former Lutheran Church / Parish Hall
The baroque building with round-arched windows and hipped roof, built between 1761 and 1771, served the Lutherans as a place of worship until the church union in 1836. Citizens donated the chimes in 1996, which ring at 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 3:30 p.m., and 5:30 p.m.Today it is a community center, and its restored hall can be rented for events.
(8) Inspector's House
The gabled house with stair tower and octagonal ground plan was built around 1600. Later it became the property of the manorial government and after 1727 it served the Lutheran congregation as a pastorate. Johann Nikolaus Götz, also known as "Winterburg Nightingale", lived here.
(9) Boos von Waldeckscher Hof
One of the oldest estates in the town, this former nobleman's court, like the Meisenheimer Hof opposite (Obergasse), is an attractive eye-catcher at the entrance to the historic old town after extensive restoration.
(10) Former Synagogue / House of Encounter
The synagogue of the Jewish religious community (1864 - 1866) is one of the largest and best preserved synagogues in the region. After conversion into the "House of Encounter" in 1988, a lecture and concert hall, classrooms, a permanent exhibition on the history of Judaism in the Nahe region and a special library with Judaica were created.
(11) Catholic Church of St. Anthony of Padua
Called by Louis XIV in 1680, the Franciscan chapter of Cologne decided to found a monastery in Meisenheim. In 1688 the church was consecrated in honor of St. Anthony of Padua. In 1902 a tower in baroque style was added.
(12) Citizen tower
The citizens' tower from the early 14th century once served as a debtors' prison, in addition to the defense on its second floor. Until the end of the 17th century there was a traffic circle in front of the tower.
(13) Rapport Square
In the past, the citizens' guard had to report to the police on this square. Since 1938 there has been a fountain here. The sculptor Emil Cauer the Younger created the fountain figure of a boy with two titmice in his hands.
(14) Lower gate
The construction of the only still preserved gate of the town took place in 1315 after the granting of the town rights by King Ludwig of Bavaria. The lower part with the high pointed arch blind, in which the portcullis ran, probably dates back to this time. After 1689, the pyramid was added as a roof. The inner gate and the windows above it date from 1847. On the left side of the tower a staircase leads to the battlements. The turret lived on the top floor. Today the town archive "resides" in the venerable lower gate.
(15) Thayn's house
Magnificent half-timbered house from the 16th century. It towers above the other town houses in size, age and beauty. It is considered by many to be the most beautiful three-story town house in Meisenheim. On the courtyard side there is a stair tower with a spiral staircase.
(16) Market Hall
The elongated, two-story building has six double window axes. The first floor is designed as an open columned hall. The upper floor consists of a closed half-timbered facade. A hipped pent roof covers the building. This was once a guardroom, prison and apartment.Today, the rustic room on the upper floor can be used and rented for events and celebrations.
(17) Late Gothic Town Hall
The construction of the town hall testifies to the prosperity of the town at the beginning of the 16th century. The large hall on the first floor was used as a fruit market hall and served as a storage place for citizen's weapons and many other things. The council chamber was on the upper floor. There was an inn here as early as 1528. The Renaissance portal leads inside to a spiral staircase. In 1611 the building received a ridge turret. In 1991 - 1994 the reconstruction works were carried out to the present building structure.Today the town hall is used for municipal purposes (meeting hall, mayor's room, municipal library). In the hall there is a wall frieze worth seeing with earth-historical "Meisenheim Lake". Art exhibitions are held here regularly.
Getting thereA 61 - Bad Kreuznach exit
B 41 - as far as Waldböckelheim
L 234 - as far as Staudernheim
L 377 - as far as Abtweiler
L 376 - to Meisenheim/Glan
A 62 - to Kusel exit
B 420 - to Meisenheim
ParkingAlter Bahnhof, Bismarckplatz, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 35´´ N / 7° 39´ 59´´ E
Straße "Am Wehr", 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 27´´ N / 7° 40´ 24´´ E
Straße "An der Bleiche", 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 31´´ N / 7° 40´ 17´´ E
Obergasse, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 26´´ N / 7° 40´ 15´´ E
Saarstraße, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 30´´ N / 7° 40´ 12´´ E
Marktplatz, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 25´´ N / 7° 40´ 19´´ E
Hinter der Hofstadt, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 17´´ N / 7° 40´ 11´´ E
Amtsgasse, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 21´´ N / 7° 40´ 12´´ E
Hinter der Hofstadt, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 17´´ N / 7° 40´ 11´´ E
Hans-Franck-Straße, 55590 Meisenheim - Koordinaten: 49° 42´ 32´´ N / 7° 40´ 22´´ E
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentNormal shoes, only paved roads
- 7 Waypoints
- 7 Waypoints