Short historical overview:
1095/1105 Construction of the castle Are by Count Theoderich
1121 First documented mention of the castle Are: Count Theoderich is bailiff of the monastery Steinfeld
1205 The castle becomes the sole property of the counts of Are-Hochstaden
1246 Donation of the county of Are with the castle Are to the Cologne church: the castle becomes the official residence of the Cologne office Altenahr, state prison of the Cologne archbishops. In the course of the following centuries, the castle and Amt Altenahr are often pledged to various pledge holders.
1374 Under Archbishop Walram the castle is further extended and fortified
1426 Further extensions to the castle complex: southern extension of the palace, construction of the Grey Tower, restoration of the fountain
16. century restoration of the keep, construction of a new baking and brewing house
1689/90 Nine months of siege and bombardment of the castle by French troops with subsequent conquest. Subsequently changing occupations, from 1706 on troops of the cathedral monastery
1714 Under Elector Joseph Clemens final destruction of the castle, blasting of all parts and construction of a new office building at the foot of the castle hill.