Although already in 1307 a manor in Roßbach was transferred to the Deutschherren in an exchange of goods, a "Cabell" is mentioned there for the first time in 1578.
Triggered by the secularisation the Holy Mass is celebrated regularly on Sundays in Rossbach from 1802 onwards.
The payment of the resulting costs, for example for the early mass, church needs and paraments, morning and midday bells, sexton's salary and the like, led to disputes between the villages of Reifert and Roßbach, especially as the Hunschaft was still obliged to pay the compulsory contributions for the chapel of the Holy Cross, other churches as well as the usual natural contributions for clergy and teachers in the usual manner. In spite of good will on all sides, the running costs could only be taught with great sacrifices. Repeatedly the church service workers were forced to negotiate new conditions or to admonish arrears. In June 1851, the modest teacher Andries, who had played the "new organ" since Michaelis in 1844, reminded him of his promised salary. He had not yet received any payment, apart from a bell bag money from 7 Rhenish talers. - After renouncing the old arrears, he was granted an annual salary of 6 talers for his services in December 1851.
The chapel had long since become too small and was in an extremely poor state of repair. In 1837 it was decided to carry out an extension. Financing was very difficult. In the municipal budget of 1837/38, 26 Reichstaler were planned for the extension; the costs were 328 Taler. There it was already a ray of hope that Anton donated 100 Taler to bridges from Roßbach. From the proceeds of a special cut in the community forests, another 100 thalers were added. - Nevertheless, the extension remained a makeshift. A repair was rejected, because the condition of the bad building material at the old chapel made it appear as not feasible to spend further means for the building.
Since 1858, serious consideration has been given to building a new chapel with a cost estimate of 4,000 talers. But in the case of financial distress, this was associated with all sorts of obstacles and disgust. By selling common land, including a spruce culture of about 30 acres, they wanted to create a fund available for the new building and save some of the money needed; however, this was rejected by the royal district administrator Runkel in Heddesdorf. According to a report by Pastor Gomm, Bishop Arnoldi intervened in the dispute by submitting a petition to the royal government in Koblenz. He proposed "to make an exception to that rule here, especially since otherwise the community would not be able to provide the building costs". Furthermore, he pointed out that the cessation of the divine service in Roßbach would be a great disadvantage and "church life would be completely alienated and the chaplain so necessary in the great parish would have to be recalled".
With zeal and emphasis, the congregation continued to endeavour to raise the necessary funds for the new chapel. Partial areas of their property in the districts "Hütung", "Auf dem langen Platz" and "Im Heckelchen", a total of 24 acres, were sold for about 800 talers. Forest areas "Im Hohn", "Am Häubchen" and "In der Kunst" were to be converted into arable land and leased for 12 years.
Under the chairmanship of Mayor Hasbach, the aldermen confirmed these decisions.
After a first plan for the new building was rejected by the royal government, the new chapel was to be 27 feet long, 24 feet wide and, including the upstage, about 1,500 square feet large and able to accommodate about 450 people according to the design of the architect Watterlohn from Neuwied.
The question of where the new chapel was to be built was the subject of a council dispute in 1862. Some members voted to keep the old place, others wanted to see the chapel built in Driesch district. Council member Wagner from Reifert protested emphatically against the 2nd proposal, because this would not be a matter for the municipality alone, but an interest of the inhabitants of Roßbach. Finally one agreed on the previous location, whereby still surfaces were bought.
Mayor König stood on the side of the Roßbachers by making an effort to speed up the matter. For this he had to take some blame of the royal Landrat Runkel from Heddesdorf, who was not well disposed to the project. But the community remained persistent and Mayor König supported them. In May 1862 the old chapel was demolished due to dilapidation and the danger of collapse. The district administrator prohibited the work on the new building because a state subsidy and the requested house collections in the administrative district of Koblenz had not yet been approved; moreover, only about 900 Taler would be available and the acquisition of the remaining Mitt
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator