Fortress · Moseltal · open
Responsible for this content
Mosellandtouristik GmbH Verified partner  Explorers Choice 
  • Ehrenburg im Morgenlicht
    / Ehrenburg im Morgenlicht
    Photo: Klaus Breitkreutz
  • / Ehrenburg
    Photo: Marco Rothbrust
  • / Ehrenburg Brodenbach
    Photo: Marco Rothbrust
  • / Gauklerfest
    Photo: Ehrenburg

The wildly romantic castle of the Ehrenberg Knights, with its unsophisticated beauty, offers a wealth of charms: we invite you to come, stay and enjoy!

On special Sundays and public holidays in the spring we celebrate the "Dreamtime" on the Ehrenburg. Like the Living Castle, children and adults are invited to celebrate with us and to dream. Our season opener is the Spring Festival on the Easter holidays. To the exciting Burgerkundung, to play and handicraft join here selected music ensembles and lead in a fairy tale from distant days.Wild and boisterous things happen at the Witches Festival on the 1st of May. The Ehrenburger witches invite to mice tossing, Toad race and Verehrungslichung and can always come up with new things to have together with young witches and warlocks a lot of fun. In addition, the L'Una Theater at 12 & 16 clock with the piece "The wish dealer".When heart-rending songs and terrible murders sound out of the old walls and in the courtyard of the Ehrenburg, the cauldron hangs deliciously smelling over the roaring fire, then it's time for the Schinderhannes Raider Festival! The Duo Zeitensprung brings to life on Pentecost the great time of the band of robbers with artisan and robber songs, pocket games and many historical anecdotes from the Schinderhannes and his comrades to life.

History of the Ehrenburg

In 1161 Emperor Frederick I ("Barbarossa") settles a dispute over the possession of the castle between the Archbishop of Trier and the Count Palatine of the Rhine. This circumstance owes the Ehrenburg her first documentary mention.

In 1331, the Waldeck, Schöneck, Eltz and Ehrenberg houses join forces to form the "Eltzer feud" against Archbishop Balduin von Trier. Four years later, the fighters committed themselves to peace in the "Eltzer Sühne"; the feudal letter of Frederick I is renewed.

In 1397 the last Ehrenberger is in feud with the citizens of Koblenz and destroys more than 200 houses there. A year later, the Ehrenburg goes in succession to Johann von Schönberg. In 1426 Kuno III. Pyrmont, 1526 to Philip of Eltz, 1561 to the gentlemen Quadt of Landskron and 1621 to the House of Hoensbroich. In the course of the Thirty Years' War, the Spaniards occupy the castle from 1640 to 1651. In 1668, the Ehrenburg becomes the property of Freiherr von Clodt.

On 1 November 1688, French soldiers under Louis XIV occupy the castle during the Palatinate War of Succession and blow up large parts of the castle on 30 April 1689. Only the chapel remains completely untouched and is abandoned only a century later.

In 1798 the castle became the property of Baron vom Stein. After the extinction of the family von Stein the Ehrenburg came in 1831 in the possession of their heirs, the counts in Kielmansegg, in 1867 the counts of the Gröben and in 1924 the counts of Kanitz and 1991 in private ownership.

Since 1992, the honorary castle by the non-profit circle of friends Ehrenburg e.V. from private means preserved, restored and rebuilt.

Open from

open today
Open May 18, 2020 through Nov 01, 2020 from 11:00–17:00.

UNSER BURGTOR IST WIEDER OFFEN! Gern heißen wir Sie ab heute wieder täglich zwischen 11-17 Uhr in den Mauern der Ehrenburger Ritter willkommen. In unserer Burg-Gastronomie erwartet Sie eine kleine Speisekarte mit täglich wechselnden Gerichten.

Die Burg ist an folgenden tagen geschlossen: 26.06 /29.06 /30.06 und 01.07 geschlossen

Arrival by train, car, foot or bike

Routes through this place

27.1 km
1:52 h
53 m
60 m
Show in map

Nearby Points of Interest

 These suggestions were created automatically.

Questions & Answers

Ask the first question

Got questions regarding this content? Ask them here.


Write your first review

Help others by being the first to add a review.

Photos from others


56332 Brodenbach
Phone +49 2605 3077 Fax +49 2605 3079

Special features

Place to visit
  • 2D 3D
  • Contents
  • New Point
  • Show images Hide images
  • 2 Routes nearby
Long-distance cycle trail · Moseltal

Moselle Cycle Route Section 9: From Cochem to Löf

April 01, 2015
27.1 km
1:52 h
53 m
60 m
This part of the Moselle Cycle Route is characterised by the medieval castles along the way. It offers the opportunity to combine cycling with a ...
from Simone Pfeiffer,   Mosellandtouristik GmbH
September 08, 2016
313.5 km
137:05 h
8775 m
8816 m
This tour covers the entire Rhineland-Palatinate part of the Saar-Hunsrück Climb. These are legs 25 to 27 (Trier to Keller Steg) and legs 7 to 24.
from Hunsrueck-Touristik GmbH,   Hunsrück-Touristik GmbH
  • 2 Routes nearby