Grimburg Castle was built around 1190 by the Archbishops of Trier to serve as a regional castle and was the seat of office for nearly 40 Hochwald communites. It received a town charter in the 14th century. The castle was taken by Franz von Sickingen in 1522. Witch trials took place here later on. The site was “rediscovered” in 1978 and partly restored in the following years.
Grimburg Castle was built around 1190 by the Archbishops of Trier to serve them as a regional castle. It was the seat of office for almost 40 Hochwald communities and received a town charter in the 14th century. The castle was taken in 1522 by Franz von Sickingen. Witch trials took place at the castle in later times. In 1978 the castle was woken from a long slumber and partly restored in the following years. The intensive efforts of the “Friends of Grimburg Castle“ have made it possible to give the numerous visitors of today a rough picture of a medieval castle site. Viewing is possible all year round. Admission free. We have the following special offers for visitors: > Guided tours for young and old > Medieval games and re-enactments of witch trials for children/youths > Fairy tale time with a difference > Medieval banquet > An afternoon at the castle Special offers for groups can be booked at the Tourist Information Centre in Hermeskeil. Tel: 06503 809500