Share
Bookmark
Print
Embed
Historical site

Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche

Historical site · Romantischer Rhein
Responsible for this content
Romantischer Rhein Tourismus GmbH Verified partner  Explorers Choice 
  • Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche
    / Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche
    Photo: Romantischer Rhein Tourismus GmbH

The four-storey tower with the rhomboid helmet and the square, internally cross-vaulted choir of today's Protestant parish church originate - as the inner and outer style details show - from a late Romanesque church building erected in the 13th century.
The four-story tower with the diamond-shaped helmet and the square, internally cross-vaulted choir of today's Protestant parish church originate - as the inner and outer style details show - from a late Romanesque church building erected in the 13th century, which in turn must have had a predecessor, since Niederbieber was already mentioned as a parish in 1204. The patronage of the church - probably consecrated to Mary - was held by the Isenburgers, but since 1340 at the latest by the Counts of Wied, for whom the church served as a burial place from about 1450 to about 1580. Under the altar was buried in 1552 Count Hermann zu Wied, Archbishop of Cologne, Elector and Reformer, who died at Burgwied. The heraldic gravestones of his parents are still present. Towards the end of the 15th century, the old nave was replaced by a three-nave and two-week vaulted building with an almost square ground plan. In later times the central nave and the northern side aisle were extended to the west, the gallery was enlarged and the side windows were changed. Since then the church has had its present appearance. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Open from

Führungen durch die Kirche am 2. und 4. Sonntag im Monat von 14:30 bis 17:30 Uhr

Coordinates

DD
50.463842, 7.469877
DMS
50°27'49.8"N 7°28'11.6"E
UTM
32U 391401 5591323
w3w 
///stripe.freezers.pond
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike

Questions & Answers

Ask the first question

Got questions regarding this content? Ask them here.


Reviews

Write your first review

Help others by being the first to add a review.

Profile picture

Photos from others


Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche

Am Kirchberg
56567 Neuwied-Niederbieber
Phone (0049) 2631 71202

Special features

Place to visit
  • 2D 3D
  • Contents
  • Show images Hide images