Historical site

Nassau Castle

Historical site · Lahntal
Responsible for this content
Lahntal Tourismus Verband e. V. Verified partner  Explorers Choice 
  • Burg Nassau
    / Burg Nassau
  • / Blick auf Burg Nassau
  • / Burg Nassau mit Burgberg
  • / Ritterrüstung
Fairytale castle located high above the Lahn. Dream look!
The Nassau castle ruin (Rhein-Lahn district) towers high above the Lahn valley and the town of the same name. The main task of Nassau Castle was to secure the road leading from Wiesbaden to Koblenz, today's bathing road. Before 1128, Laurenburg Count Ruprecht I illegally erected a fortification on this mountain cone, which is owned by the Worms monastery. In 1159, the Hochstift transferred its Nassau properties to Archbishop Hillin von Trier, who handed over Nassau Castle to the Laurenburg family as a fief. These have been known as Counts of Nassau since 1160 at the latest. The castle then remained in their possession. At the beginning of the 16th century, the complex began to deteriorate. In 1806 it became the property of the Duchy of Nassau and in 1866 to the Prussian government. Before 1873, this established the first guest house for tourists in the castle. Today, the landscape-defining castle ruin belongs to the Directorate General for Cultural Heritage Rhineland-Palatinate, Directorate for Castles, Palaces, Antiquities.

Open from

Geöggnet 1. April bis 15. Oktober


50.310773, 7.792658
50°18'38.8"N 7°47'33.6"E
32U 414033 5573881
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike

Routes through this place

19.4 km
7:15 h
710 m
723 m
19.4 km
7:15 h
723 m
710 m
Show in map

Nearby Points of Interest

 These suggestions were created automatically.

Questions & Answers

Ask the first question

Got questions regarding this content? Ask them here.


Write your first review

Help others by being the first to add a review.

Photos from others

Nassau Castle

56377 Nassau
Phone (0049)2604 9449437
  • 2D 3D
  • Contents
  • Show images Hide images
  • 2 Routes nearby
Graded short tour/Graded circular tour · Lahntal
Lahnwanderweg 18. Etappe Obernhof– Bad Ems
difficult Stage 18 open
19.4 km
7:15 h
710 m
723 m
Diese Etappe wird Ausblick- und Kulturliebhaber begeistern. Die Burg Nassau, der schiefe Turm von Dausenau... Aussichtsreiche Highlights wie die ...
from Joachim Lutz,   Lahntal Tourismus Verband e. V.
Graded short tour/Graded circular tour · Lahntal
Lahnwanderweg stage 18 upstream Bad Ems - Obernhof
difficult Stage 2 open
19.4 km
7:15 h
723 m
710 m
This stage will delight people who love good views as well as those who love culture. You will get to the Nassau castle, the Schiefe Turm of ...
from Jörg Thamer,   Lahntal Tourismus Verband e. V.
  • 2 Routes nearby