Historical site

Schloss Neuwied

Historical site · Romantischer Rhein
Responsible for this content
Romantischer Rhein Tourismus GmbH Verified partner  Explorers Choice 
  • Schloss Neuwied Eingang
    / Schloss Neuwied Eingang
    Photo: Romantischer Rhein Tourismus GmbH
  • / Schloss Neuwied
    Photo: Romantischer Rhein Tourismus GmbH
  • / Eingang Schloss Neuwied
    Photo: Romantischer Rhein Tourismus GmbH
That the Rhine represents a thoroughly lucrative income source as an important traffic route and a major economic axis was also clear to Count Friedrich III zu Wied in the middle of the 17th century. In 1653, he obtained authorisation from the Emperor to build a city Newen Wiedt on the site of the war-destroyed village of Langendorf. In 1648, he had bought up a complex close beside Langendorf from the Metternich family, which he proceeded to develop as a bastion and already named Newen Wiedt. French troops destroyed this residence in 1694. It was only his son, Count Friedrich Wilhelm who had a new castle built in the shape of a horseshoe according to plans from 1706 in the years 1707-1711, using Versailles as an example. The joining of the two side wings to make up the main building, the Corps de logis, remained undone due to lack of funds. These side wings, built in stages, were only completed in 1756. The complex stamps the cityscape to this day. It is the residence of the Prince’s family today and cannot be visited.
That the Rhine represents a thoroughly lucrative income source as an important traffic route and a major economic axis was also clear to Count Friedrich III zu Wied in the middle of the 17th century. In 1653, he obtained authorisation from the Emperor to build a city Newen Wiedt on the site of the war-destroyed village of Langendorf. In 1648, he had bought up a complex close beside Langendorf from the Metternich family, which he proceeded to develop as a bastion and already named Newen Wiedt. French troops destroyed this residence in 1694. It was only his son, Count Friedrich Wilhelm who had a new castle built in the shape of a horseshoe according to plans from 1706 in the years 1707-1711, using Versailles as an example. The joining of the two side wings to make up the main building, the Corps de logis, remained undone due to lack of funds. These side wings, built in stages, were only completed in 1756. The complex stamps the cityscape to this day. It is the residence of the Prince’s family today and cannot be visited.

Open from

Das Schloss ist in Privatbesitz und nicht zu besichtigen.

Coordinates

DD
50.429135, 7.454739
DMS
50°25'44.9"N 7°27'17.1"E
UTM
32U 390246 5587486
w3w 
///barefoot.gardens.drop
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike

Questions & Answers

Ask the first question

Got questions regarding this content? Ask them here.


Reviews

Write your first review

Help others by being the first to add a review.


Photos from others


Schloss Neuwied

Schlossstr.
56564 Neuweid

Special features

Place to visit
  • 2D 3D
  • Contents
  • Show images Hide images