Where bicycles roll today, trains used to steam. The historic railroad line of the Ruwer-Hochwald-Bahn is transformed into the Ruwer-Hochwald Cycle Path. Like the former railroad line, the bike path connects the heights of the Hunsrück with the Moselle valley.
Distance 53.9 km
The route follows the Ruwer, a tributary of the Moselle, on a paved path that is only used by cyclists, inline skaters and hikers. The route takes you over more than twenty bridges and through a varied cultural landscape: Grimburg Castle, the monastery courtyards in Kasel, churches worth seeing with impressive altars, a spring moor, the reservoir near Kell or the Sommerau waterfall are the highlights - either directly along the route or accessible with a worthwhile detour.
Update: January 19, 2022
Getting thereIn the morning you take the RegioRadler Ruwer-Hochwald (line RR200) from the main station in Trier to Hermeskeil.
32U 350726 5502579
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view