Small chapel as final resting place of a great art collector: The tomb of Peter Ludwig in the mountain chapel of St. Aldegund
The Premium Trail Felsen.Fässer.Fachwerk takes the hiker to an ancient Celtic place of worship above St. Aldegund. Here, in 1144, a small Christian place of worship was built in honour of the Merovingian saint Aldegundis. Today, referred to as the Old Church, the chapel is located in the midst of a garden which used to be a cemetery. Some old grave crosses still remind of this time. In 1872 a new parish church was built at the banks of the Moselle, and the condition of the small mountain chapel was so bad at the time, that the diocese authority called for the municipality to demolish the nave. Luckily, there were no funds available for this, and part of the inventory was sold and the roof received a makeshift repair. In 1948, the local Marienverein took care of the small old little church, repaired the roof, put in new windows and started to search for the sold inventory. They managed to purchase the wrought-iron pulpit from 1663 via the Cologne art trade. The sandstone grave altar of the master Hans-Ruprecht Hoffmann from 1602 for the electoral bailiff Nicolaus Rultz was discovered at the Aachen collector couple Peter and Irene Ludwig. First they did not want to sell the piece of art, but then they visited the mountain chapel and decided to not only donate the grave altar but also to support the restoration work financially. In return, they wanted a burial place connected to the church. So it happened, that Peter Ludwig was laid to rest in St. Aldegund on 30 July 1996 and Irene Ludwig on 4 December 2010.
Together with his wife, Peter Ludwig had collected thousands of valuable art pieces. Since 1957, the wealthy couple collected for the public, and donations and long-term loans are on display in over twenty museums. The "Ludwig Museums" and institutes that bear the name Ludwig, are based on the couple's initiatives or through donated pieces of art the couple had a decisive impact on them, for example in Cologne, Oberhausen, Koblenz, Saarlouis, Bamberg, Basel, Budapest, Vienna, St. Petersburg and Beijing.
Completely in contrast to these great monuments, which Peter and Irene Ludwig set during their lifetime, the burial place in the small funerary chapel makes due without any donor pathos. The sculptor Christof Anders from Senheim was commissioned to create a simple, basic tomb, behind which the artist's personality also largely recedes. The tomb is visible from the outside, but if you want to visit the church from the inside, you need to get the key (from family von Essen, Auf der Teusch 4).
A 48 exit Wittlich-Mitte, via B 49 direction Alf on to Sankt Aldegund
A 48 departure Kaisersesch, L 98 to Cochem, continue on B 49 along the Moselle to Sankt Aldegund
A 61 departure Emmelshausen, on B 327 direction Kastellaun, continue to exit Blümlingshof on B 421 to Zell (Moselle), on the B 53 along the Moselle to Sankt Aldegund