It can be walked in countless variations through the Vulkaneifel-Pfade and the Eifelsteig.
Out of the village, you walk a short distance on the volcano summit trail along the Asseberg in the direction of Waldkönigen and then turn right through the Rengen forest into the village of the same name, past Boverath through the Daun state forest and the Lehwald forest near Mehren, all the way to the fabulous Weinfeld Maar.
This place invites you to relax before this hike ends along the Puetzborn stream in Neunkirchen.
Insider tip: Finish the hike in the Gemünden Maar natural outdoor pool (open from approx. May to September).
Highlights along the way:
• 0.0 km Gemünden Maar
• 26.9 km Weinfeld Maar
• 28.0 km Dronke Tower
Are you planning an overnight stay? You can easily search for the hiking-friendly hosts of the Eifel at GesundLand Vulkaneifel GmbH according to your wishes and also book them online
GesundLand Vulkaneifel GmbH will be pleased to put together an individual hiking tour for you including hotel and luggage transfer.
Rest StopRestaurant Sporthotel & Resort am Grafenwald, Daun Vulkaneifel
Safety information• Stay on the marked hiking trails.
• Stay away from steep edges and rock faces (danger of falling).
• Keep an eye on your children if necessary.
• Small steps and a steady pace save energy uphill and protect your joints downhill.
• Take something to drink with you; drinking is important even when you are not thirsty.
• And: Please keep nature clean.
Tips and hintsGesundLand Vulkaneifel GmbH
GesundLand Tourist Information Daun
Tel. +49 (0) 6592 95130
Getting there1. From the north - from the direction of the Netherlands, Cologne, Ruhr area
=> A1 direction Blankenheim until the end of the exit
=> from there follow signs for Hillesheim/Gerolstein and Daun
2. from the north - from Belgium/Netherlands
=> Liège E 40 direction Aachen/Trier
=> A 60 to exit Prüm => from there via B 410 to Daun
3. from the east/southeast - from Frankfurt-Koblenz
=> A3 Frankfurt - Cologne as far as Dernbacher Dreieck or A 61 Ludwigshafen - Cologne as far as Koblenzer Kreuz
=> from there via the Eifel motorway A48/A1 Koblenz-Trier
=> exit Vulkaneifel-Dreieck/Daun
4. from the south - from Saarbrücken
=> A1 Saarbrücken/Trier, from Trier A48/A1
=> exit Vulkaneifel-Dreieck/Daun
ParkingAt the Waldcafe, Maarstraße 7, 54550 Daun
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Equipment• Backpack food and sturdy shoes are recommended.
• Walking sticks may be helpful for the trails.
• Weatherproof clothing
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.