On a pleasant and varied 11 km, you not only see the water-filled maars, but also the fen and the dry maar at Schalkenmehren.
Looking over the Daun maars, it becomes clear: there must have been a lot of rumbling here!
Where once volcanoes spewed lava and ash, today gentle green hills and deep blue maars invite you to experience the effect of the incomparable landscape.
There are excellent places to stop for refreshments in Schalkenmehren and Gemünden.
Insider tip: Enjoy the view of the fairytale Gemünden Maar from the Hollywood swing next to the drone tower!
The hike is adequately signposted according to the "MA" logo.
Highlights along the way:
- 0.3 km Schalkenmehren maar
- 2.2 km Schalkenmehren Maar cross
- 2.9 km Weinfeld Maar
- 4.5 km Dronke tower
- 5.4 km Gemünden Maar
- 7.5 km Winkelbach mineral spring
Are you planning an overnight stay? You can easily search for the hiking-friendly hosts of the Eifel at GesundLand Vulkaneifel GmbH according to your wishes and also book them online
GesundLand Vulkaneifel GmbH will be pleased to put together an individual hiking tour for you including hotel and luggage transfer.
Rest stopsHotel Schneider am Maar
- Stay on the marked hiking trails.
- Stay away from steep edges and rock faces (danger of falling).
- Keep an eye on your children if necessary.
- Small steps and a steady pace save energy uphill and are easy on the joints downhill.
- Take something to drink with you; drinking is important even when you are not thirsty.
- And: Please keep nature clean.
Tips and hintsGesundLand Vulkaneifel GmbH
GesundLand Tourist Information Daun
Phone +49 (0)6592 95130
Getting therePlease use the navigable start address in the Parking section to enter in your navigation device. Or use the >> online journey planner at the end of the stage description.
ParkingMehrener Straße 20, 54552 Schalkenmehren
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Backpack food and sturdy shoes recommended.
- Walking sticks may be helpful for the trails.
- Clothing according to the weather
- 10 Waypoints
- 10 Waypoints