Starting from Braunfels castle, you will get through the nature and bird sanctuary Weinberg. Moreover, you will walk through the castle ruins of Kalsmunt to get to the picturesque town of Wetzlar. Although this stage is rather short, it has a lot to offer.
Distance 13 km
History and stories characterize today's stage. The journey starts in Braunfels with its fairytale castle, the old town and the Herrengarten. In the nature and bird sanctuary Weinberg, nature and landscape lovers will feel very comfortable. The protected area above Wetzlar is home to many rare animal and plant species and, as in the past, is still grazed with sheep. Three to four times a year a wandering shepherd moves across the meadows with more than 800 animals. In the past Kalsmunt castle ruins protected Wetzlar and the "Hohe Straße" which used to be a very important trade route from Cologne to Frankfurt. Moving on, you will get down to Wetzlar with its picturesque old town.
Climb the tower of the Kalsmunt castle ruins: the view of Wetzlar and the surrounding area is fantastic!
Update: December 03, 2021
Rest StopKonditorei/Cafe Vogel
Safety informationFor information on diversions and relocations, please see our "Current Information".
Information on restrictions in the rail network can be found here.
Tips and hintswww.facebook.com/lahnwanderweg
Domplatz 8, 35578 Wetzlar
Lahntal Tourismus Verband e.V.
Brückenstraße 2, 35576 Wetzlar
Tel. 06441/30998-0, Fax 03212/1239508
Getting thereBy car via L3451 to Braunfels or B49 to Wetzlar
ParkingBraunfels or Wetzlar
32U 456744 5595970
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentOrdinary hiking equipment required. Take backpack vespers and drinks with you.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view