Due to its course, this Side Trail can also be divided up into two mini hikes.
On hot summer's days it is recommended to hike in the late evening hours. On the round in the Helterbachtal it is cool at the stream and in the forest and the vineyard round at sunset at the viewing pavilion is an absolute highlight.
Rest StopStraußwirtschaft Neusius
There are several sections with rope guards along the route. At the Helterbach you walk on stepping stones directly in the stream bed and through a tunnel.
The climbing passage through the Wehrer Rosenberg vineyard requires sure-footedness. The Side Trail leads over narrow steps, steep, stony paths and over two ladders. This passage cannot be bypassed.
Tips and hints
Kordelweg 1, 54470 Bernkastel-Kues; Phone: +49 (6531) / 97330
Saar-Obermosel-Touristik e. V.
Graf-Siegfried-Straße 32, 54439 Saarburg; Phone: +49 (6581) / 995980
Saarstraße 1, 54329 Konz; Phone: +49 (6501) / 6018040
Getting thereB 419 between Nittel and Palzem
ParkingParking area directly below the railway stop. There is a larger parking area available.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentPlease ensure you are wearing sturdy shoes. The Helterbachtal valley in particular can be slippery in wet weather.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.