This hike leads through the landscape around the pilgrimage site of Klausen with its two districts of Krames and Pohlbach. These offer many "little escapes" for a quiet stop. The pilgrimage church "Maria Heimsuchung" is certainly one of them; it is visited by over 100,000 pilgrims every year and is considered a place of power with a history of over 500 years. Also worth seeing are the parish garden with its old tree population and the terraced abbey garden, where numerous herbs are planted on one level. The garden dates from the Wilhelminian period of the former monastery in the 15th century. Not to be forgotten are the artistic village fountains, which can be found in all three parts of the village. But the hiking trail "Around Klausen" offers more!
Insights into the hiking tour:
There are great views and along recultivated gravel pits rare animals, especially birds, have found a new home. On hot summer days the many fountains along the way provide some refreshment.
Safety informationNo special safety instructions.
Tips and hints
Phone: (0049) 6531/50019-0
Tourist information Klausen
Unser Dorfladen w.V.
Phone: (0049) 6578/985859
Getting thereComing from Bernkastel, follow the B53 in the direction of Trier. In Mühlheim, cross the bridge and change to the other side of the Moselle. Then follow the L47 uphill to Klausen.
ParkingParking facilities in the Eberhardtstraße in Klausen
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentFirm footwear is recommended
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.