A hike that takes in highlands and gorges to impressively demonstrate how deeply the Baybach stream has dug itself into the Hunsrück shale.
This hike has been awarded 95 experience points by the German Hiking Institute.
Some of the dream loops are steep, difficult and, in rainy or winter weather, slippery. Therefore, surefootedness and good physical condition are essential prerequisites for hiking these premium circular trails.
The gorge is not accessible in ice and snow! Some rocky passages in the gorge are secured with ropes and require sturdy shoes and above all surefootedness!
Tips and hints
Tourist-Information Kastellaun, Marktstraße 16, 56288 Kastellaun, Tel. 06762 401873, www.kastellaun.de
Hunsrück-Touristik GmbH, Gebäude 663, 55483 Hahn-Flughafen, Tel. 06543 507700, www.hunsruecktouristik.de
K 31 to 56290 Heyweiler - Hauptstraße or Dorfstraße, then follow the signs to the hikers' car park.
Navigation: 56290 Steffenshof on the K 32 / shelter
ParkingWanderparkplatz in 56290 Heyweiler Haupt- oder Dorfstraße
Wanderparkplatz an der K 34 bei 56290 Steffenshof
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentSturdy footwear (hiking boots) is strongly recommended. Walking sticks prove to be very helpful.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.