A fantastic round trip taking in enchanted valleys, rushing streams, deep tunnels and ancient ruins from Celtic and Roman times and the age of chivalry is waiting to be discovered here on the “Masdascher Burgherrenweg”, right in the middle of the delightful Hunsrück landscape! Hikers looking for tranquillity and pristine nature will not only get their money’s worth on this dream loop with its many rest areas, but also experience breath-taking vistas in its climactic finale.
The route is of medium difficulty owing to a number of steep ascents leading out of the stream valleys (465 m difference in altitude altogether). But the effort required to negotiate them is not that great because they are quite short.
The trail has been awarded 92 experience points by the German Hiking Institute.
Safety informationDie Traumschleifen haben teilweise steile, schwierige und bei Regen- oder Winterwetter rutschige Passagen. Deshalb sind Trittsicherheit und gute Kondition unbedingte Voraussetzungen zunm Erwandern dieser Premiumrundwanderwege.
Tips and hints
Tourist-Information Kastellaun, Marktstraße 16, 56288 Kastellaun
Tel. 06762 401873, www.kastellaun.com
Hunsrück-Touristik GmbH, Gebäude 663, 55483 Hahn-Flughafen
Tel. 06543 507700, www.hunsruecktouristik.de
L 203, K 69 or K 64 to 56869 Mastershausen
Navigation: Johann-Steffen-Straße, 56869 Mastershausen
Mastershausen town centre, "Deutsches Eck" bus stop
(Navigation: 56869 Mastershausen, Johann-Steffen-Straße)
Car park at the Bürgerhalle.
Car park at the Balduinseck castle ruins (L 203).
Car park at the barbecue hut
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentFestes Schuhwerk ist erforderlich, ein Wanderstock erweist sich als hilfreich.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.