Pfälzer Weinsteig Stage 3: Bad Dürkheim - Deidesheim
Zum Wohl. Die Pfalz. Verified partner Explorers Choice
Bad Dürkheim, Römerplatz, Haus der guten WeinePhoto: Tourist Information Bad Dürkheim
UFFBASSE! - Campaign for being considerate of others in nature
- Always act in a proactive, friendly and considerate way towards everyone you encounter along the way.
- Respect nature, do not destroy plants and always stay on the paths. Try to avoid excessive noise and leave the forest before dusk.
- Remember to take a rubbish bag with you when you go out and take your rubbish back home.
- Please keep your dog on a leash at all times. Other visitors and animals thank you.
- For your own safety, observe all road closures, including at weekends.
- Park only in designated parking areas. Leave space for emergency vehicles and agricultural machinery.
- Please give priority to agricultural and forestry traffic.
Wer gerne etwas länger wandern möchte, macht ab dem Start in Bad Dürkheim noch den Abstecher (über Weinsteig Zuweg) hinauf zur Klosterruine Limburg. Die Tour wird dadurch 6 Km länger und führt in Höhe Flaggenturm wieder auf die Hauptroute zurück.
Rest stopsMundhardter Hof
Safety informationIn light of recent events:
Coronavirus Guide from the German Hiking Association
In autumn in particular, it is important to remember that leaves lying on the ground can hide bumps, roots, stones and holes in the path. Trees can topple and branches can fall down after thunderstorms and rainstorms. Natural paths can become muddy and slippery, especially in poor weather conditions. Not all rocks and precipices are secured with ropes or railings. You need to be sure-footed in certain areas. Damage to paths of this kind is to be expected on hikes. If you feel that certain sections of the path are not passable for you, please avoid them.
We endeavour to announce all closures due to forest work or hunting parties on this platform. Nevertheless, sometimes there are situations where hiking trails are closed and we may not have been informed. If you unexpectedly encounter a road closure or diversion, please follow the instructions for your own safety.
Tips and hints
- Info zum Flaggenturm
- Klosterruine Limburg
- Start und Zielpunkt lassen sich gut mit der Regionalbahn erreichen: www.vrn.de
We continue on the path over a wooded ridge, before reaching the idyllic Burg Valley. The trail goes past the campsite to the ruins of Wachten Castle (4), the 'Palatinate's balcony'. Here we can have something to eat and drink in the castle restaurant and enjoy the magnificent view of the town of Wachenheim, known for its wine and sparkling wine, and the Rhine plain. We then return to the woods and follow the slope upwards for some time before reaching a stone gate that marks the entrance of the Heidenlöcher (Heathen Holes) (5), the remains of a stronghold dating from the Carolingian era.
At the other side of the ruins, a steep path brings us down to the Michael Chapel (6), with its view towards the east of Deidesheim and its vineyards. Walking through sun-drenched vineyards, we finally reach our destination of Deidesheim. This climactic spa town will surely impress you with its own characteristic wine bars and wineries, as well as its romantic historical town centre.
Public-transport-friendlyTrain to Bad Dürkheim or Deidesheim
Getting thereA650 and B37 to Bad Dürkheim
ParkingFree car parks at Wurstmarktplatz market square
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Public Press Wanderkarte Pfälzer Weinsteig im Maßstab 1:25.000, deutsch, Leporello Falzung mit 17 Teilkarten, GPS-genau, elf redaktionelle Seiten mit Ausflugszielen und Einkehrtipps. Weitere Hauptwanderwege enthalten. ISBN 978-3-89920-677-7, Preis: 11,99€. Direkt hier bestellen
EquipmentWe recommend the following equipment as standard for our hiking tours:
- Sturdy shoes
- Clothing suitable for the weather
- Sun and rain protection
- Sufficient quantity of food and drink, as refreshment stops or shopping facilities are not always available or open.
- Although the paths are very well marked throughout, for safety reasons it is always advisable to carry a suitable hiking map so that you can quickly find your way to a safe area in the event of a thunderstorm or emergency.
- 24 Waypoints
- 24 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Photos from others