Legend has it that a dragon would lie in wait in his cave for passing ships and breathe fire on them. One day his fire hit a ship loaded with gunpowder. There was a huge explosion – and the evil dragon was then nothing more than a legend. According to the Saga of the Nibelungs, it was Siegfried who killed the dragon. When you listen to these stories, it's hard not to imagine the hot, fiery breath of the dragon on the back of your neck ...
The first few kilometres are perfect for warming up, as you initially walk upstream along the banks of the Rhine with no noticeable incline. From Küdingshoven the Rheinsteig then starts to wind up into the Siebengebirge, with several metres in altitude to be mastered en route. Despite the climb, this shady section is also easy to manage in sunny weather.
Health and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips and hintswww.rheinsteig.de
Getting thereThe A565 motorway goes directly into Bonn. Bonn can also be reached on the B9 and B42. Follow the signs to Bonn-Zentrum (city centre).
ParkingThere are several car parks in the middle of Bonn (fees charged). The underground car park beneath the market place is closest to the starting point of the Rheinsteig.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Witterungsangepasste, zweckmäßige Kleidung