Art and cannons in catacombs:
Ehrenbreitstein Fortress - Urbar - Mallendar river valley - Wambach Valley - Bischofsbour well and springs - Faculty of Theology, Forum V. Pallotti - Vallendar
Distance 8.9 km
There has been a fortification on the site of the present-day Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for much longer than previously thought. In May 2005, a moat dating from 1000 B.C. was discovered at the fortress. The Conradine Erenbert established a castle here around the year 1000 and gave it its name. The archbishops of Trier further expanded the site. Only once (in 1799) did the French manage to drive the inhabitants of the fortress to starvation, after a year-long siege. Today, the sprawling site houses an information centre, various exhibitions and the state collection of technical cultural artefacts from the Koblenz State Museum.
Ein Besuch der Festung Ehrenbreistein ist empfehlenswert. Auch stellt die Fahrt mit der Seilbahn über den Rhein an Deustche Eck ein besonderes Erlebnis dar.
Update: February 28, 2020
Safety informationHealth and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips and hintswww.rheinsteig.de
Getting thereB42 to Koblenz-Ehrenbreitstein train station
ParkingCar park at Koblenz-Ehrenbreitstein train station
32U 401080 5579493
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Suitable weatherproof clothing
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view