Kestert - Oberkestert - Pulsbach Valley - Slate slag heap - Sachsenhäuser Feld plateau - Mining trail - Wellmich - Maus Castle - Nocherner Brünnchen hikers' car park - St. Goarshausen
A tunnel deep underneath the Rhine? There's no such thing! But there was, at least until 15 September 1958. On that day, the 'Good Hope' mine above the St. Goarshausen district of Wellmich ceased its operations. Because the processing plant for the ores that had been mined there for centuries was on the left bank of the Rhine, the miners blasted a 136m deep tunnel under the river and laid some tracks for a train which took them to the other side. Today, an educational trail keeps the memory of the miners' alive.
Wer es etwas sportlicher mag, trittischer und schwindelfrei ist, der sollte am Ende der Etappe den Rabenacksteig (Klettersteig) gehen.
Updated: February 21, 2020
Safety informationHealth and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips, hints and linkswww.rheinsteig.de
Getting thereBy car: B42 to Kestert train station
From the train station follow the winding path through meadows to the Rheinsteig trail (10 minutes).
ParkingKestert train station car park
32U 403871 5560281
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Suitable weatherproof clothing
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.