Following the Roman limes in the Westerwald:
Sayn castle park - Bismarckhöhe viewing point - Neuwied Zoo - Kuckuckberg mountain - Birdwatching trail - Schnepfenteich lake – ‘Haus am Pilz’ restaurant - Aubach Valley - Schwanenteich lake - Roman tower - Rengsdorf
Distance 15.4 km
The neo-gothic Sayn Palace, built in 1848 by the French architect F. J. Girard, later the chief director of the Louvre in Paris, stands at the foot of Sayn Castle. The main attraction in the English-style palace gardens, also created in the mid 19th century, is the butterfly garden. Hundreds of exotic tropical plants and birds can be admired among streams, bridges and grottos.
Update: August 25, 2022
Safety informationHealth and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips and hintswww.rheinsteig.de
Getting thereÜber B 42 bis Bendorf, der Beschilderung bis Schloss Sayn folgen.
ParkingCar park at Sayn Castle
32U 398944 5588329
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Suitable weatherproof clothing
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view