Hills and valleys in the Westerwald:
Rengsdorf - Völkerwiesenbach Valley - Chapel of St Castor - Roman defence ditch - Laubach Valley - Almblick viewing point - Laubach mill - Altwied - Feldkirchen - Hüllenberger Stolperstein - Leutesdorf
The climactic spa town of Rengsdorf is nestled in the Rhenish Westerwald, the region between the romantic Middle Rhine Valley and the high ridge of the Westerwald mountains. Here, the Rheinsteig trail is at its furthest from the Rhine Valley, but this area, which bypasses the less attractive area around Neuwied's industrial estates and instead passes through high forest, valleys and orchards, is definitely not to be missed.
Ungefähr auf halber Strecke gibt es eine gelb markierten Abstecher zu Schloss Monrepos, in welchem ein archäologisches Forschungszentrum und ein Museum für menschliche Verhaltensevolution beheimatet ist. Hier erfährt man, wie die frühe Menschheitsgeschichte unser Verhalten bis heute bestimmt. Im Bistro "Heimathirsch" werden Trends aus der Altsteinzeit serviert.
Updated: February 28, 2020
Safety informationHealth and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips, hints and linkswww.rheinsteig.de
Getting thereB42 to Neuwied, then B256 to Rengsdorf. There is a car park near Rengsdorf town hall. The Roman defence ditch is only a few minutes walk away.
ParkingCar park near the town hall
32U 393016 5595888
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Suitable weatherproof clothing
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.