Löwenburg Castle and Nachtigallen Valley:
Bad Honnef - Mucherwiesen Valley - Wingstberg turn-off - Schmelztal car park - Ohbach Valley - Löwenburger Hof restaurant - Rhöndorf - Drachenfels mountain - Nachtigallen Valley - Königswinter
The Drachenfels is the most climbed mountain in Europe, although it might be more accurate to say 'most visited' instead, and perhaps the term 'mountain' is a little too flattering. Since the English landscape painter William Turner painted the summit, every year thousands of tourists have flocked to the viewing terrace at the top. The fit will manage the Eselsweg path to the summit on foot; everyone else can take Germany's oldest rack railway to the top.
Ein Abstecher zur Ruine Löwenburg bietet bei guten Wetter eine herrliche Aussicht über das Siebengebirge und nach Bonn.
Updated: August 15, 2018
Safety informationHealth and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips and hintswww.rheinsteig.de
Getting thereB42 to Bad Honnef, follow the signs to the train station. From the station, take the path leading to the Rheinsteig trail through the town until you reach the Mucherwiesen Valley (30 minutes).
ParkingCar park at Bad Honnef train station
32U 376013 5611244
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Witterungsangepasste, zweckmäßige Kleidung
Push the arrows to change the view