This is a region shrouded in legend. Once upon a time seven giants were said to have dug a bed for the River Rhine after it had long tried to break its way through the rocks to no avail. Once they’d finished, the giants started to head for home. As they didn’t want to return with their spades dirty, each one of them banged his tool on the ground to remove the earth clinging to the blade. And so the hills of the Siebengebirge were formed.
The first few kilometres take you through dense forest. The landscape then constantly alternates between meadows and woodland. The highlights of this stage of the Rheinsteig are undoubtedly the views from the Stux, Erpeler Ley and Ockenfels Castle. (The castle is private and can’t be visited. The view from the meadow outside the castle walls is just as spectacular, however.)
Health and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips and hintswww.rheinsteig.de
Follow the B42 along the Rhine to get to Bad Honnef and Linz.
Access by train or ship (in the summer) possible.
There is a car ferry in both Bad Honnef and Linz.
ParkingYou can park at the main line and suburban train stations and at various places in town.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Witterungsangepasste, zweckmäßige Kleidung