Be sure to allow enough time to wander through the old town of Linz before you start your hike. Lots of brightly coloured, half-timbered houses, Linz Castle, the historic town hall (one of the oldest in Rhineland-Palatinate) and the old church of St. Martin are all a sight to behold. The ancient church (open in the afternoons during the tourist season) is being successively restored by an extremely committed club of friends of the church. One of its treasures are its wall paintings which date back to the 13th century.
Today’s tour ends in Bad Hönningen. The spa and wine town is proud of its sunny vineyards and the healing powers of its thermal springs. The spa town of Bad Breisig lies on the left bank of the Rhine.
Health and safety
- Wear suitable weatherproof clothing that will protect you from cold, wet, heat and sunshine.
- Make sure you take regular breaks and don't overexert yourself.
- Take enough fluids with you as there are sections without rest stops.
- Wear suitable hiking boots/shoes which give you enough grip on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven surfaces.
- Avoid any sections of the route which you feel are too difficult for you. Natural trails can quickly become wet and slippery in adverse weather conditions.
- Particularly in autumn, you should be careful of uneven ground, roots, stones or holes that have been covered by leaves.
- You need to take these kinds of adverse conditions into account every time you go on a hike.
- Particularly steep and dangerous places are made safer with handrails or ropes. Please use these as safety aids. Handrails are not to be climbed on or used to get a better view!
Tips and hintswww.rheinsteig.de
Follow the B42 along the Rhine to get to Linz and Bad Hönningen.
Access by train or ship (in the summer) possible.
There are various free parking spaces at the station.
Alternative parking can be found:
- Underneath the railway viaducts (Am Gestade; the south end is free).
- In the Grabentor multi-storey car park (fees charged).
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Witterungsangepasste, zweckmäßige Kleidung