Slate mining was once an important industry here. Underground mining for roofing slate, thought to have started in the mid-19th century, reached its peak between 1900 and 1910.
The Herrnfeld mine (formerly the Westfalia mine) with its central tunnel called "Erna" was in operation for the longest period, until 1953. The tunnel system in "Mosella", the longest mine, extended for about 600 metres. The working chambers were up to 30 metres high.
The map on the information panel in Moselstrasse at the village entrance shows the layout of the mine and gives you an impression of the size and complexity of the network of tunnels. The tunnels shown were in three horizontal layers one above the other and extended for several hundred metres.
For safety reasons, and to protect hibernating bats, all tunnels are blocked with metal grills but the network of tunnels is illustrated on the information boards.
Festes Schuhwerk ist empfehlenswert.
St. Castor-Str. 87
Tel. 0049 2672 - 9157700, Fax 0049 2672 - 9157696
Mai-Oktober: Mo-Fr 9.00-12.00 Uhr und 14.00-17.00 Uhr, Sa 9.00-12.00 Uhr
November-April: Mo-Do 9.00-12.00 Uhr und 14.00-16.00 Uhr, Fr 9.00-13.00 Uhr